|The North American Basketball Association heads an annual basketball tournament held in North America, hosted by a selected participating city, for persons of Filipino descent.What started in 1987 as a loose association of 4 teams playing in an Invitational Tournament, NABA has now grown over the years to more than 25 participating city delegations with over 207 teams in 2013. NABA 2010 held at Jersey Shore was also marked for the first time by the participation of a team from Europe: the London Controllers. NABA 2012 marked the debut of a team from the West Coast: Los Angeles-Maharlika as well as the launching of the Volleyball Tournament with 3 divisions: Mens, Womens and Coed. NABA continues to grow with each year as more city delegations apply for membership.For city delegations who want to apply for NABA membership, there is a form that you can download here.
1. To develop a well rounded personality among the youth through acquisition of basketball skills and good behavioral attitudes.
2. To encourage a high optimum value of physical and moral excellence in order to achieve in the fulfillment of one’s end.
3. To promote understanding and good inter-relationships among individuals through interlinked activities and talents shown by their mentors.
4. To conduct basketball tournaments of different age divisions from various states and communities and through these events, their interests are centered to this area which enables them to stay away from drugs, gangs, and other bad habits.
5. To train the youth, the spirit of camaraderie, leadership and sportsmanship, and to be able to become a good citizen in the community where he or she belongs.